10.05.2010

Crumb Of The Month (September)...Homemade Oreos 2 Ways!

So somehow the months are-a-flyin'-by and I have not been keeping up on my Crumb Of The Month posts. So sorry. For September I am so happy to be posting a delicious, nostalgic treat that I have made in the past with a different recipe and I must say the recipe I used this time...mas delicioso! I must thank Ms. Bridget from Bake at 350, she is splendid, and she had posted the recipe for the scrumptious homemade Oreos a while back.

After reading her post I decided that not only would the original combo be fab, but how about reverse Oreos! You know, white butter cookies with chocolate cream filling. Um hello, yummy yum yum to both of them, I am still going back and forth between taste-buds to decide which one was better. It's a true toss-up! I must mention as well that I actually made these for a birthday gift. They were my top choice because not only are they delightful, but they ship well and do not melt, given that we were having a heat wave last week, this aspect was very important!
So what did I do...I followed Bridget's recipe for her chocolate roll-out cookies & the cream filling (p.s. I only made 1/2 recipes for both because I was doing half and half) and then I got creative. For the reverse Oreos I used my butter cookie recipe and to make the chocolate cream filling I did the following:
{again I halved the cream filling recipe}
Chocolate Cream Filling
1/2 tsp. + 1/8 tsp. (rounded) unflavored gelatin
1 TBSP. cold water
1/4 c. shortening
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. powdered sugar
1/4 c. dutch process cocoa
{Follow directions from above cream filling}
After constructing these lil' gems, I added a little flare for the birthday gal, Lindsey (cool name right?). Who does't love their initials on things, it gives you ownership so that no one else can steal your nuggets of goodness!


Well that's all for now, I have a couple more things to post, I am running a bit behind, but I will catch up soon! 
Happy Baking...Happier Eating!

5 comments:

  1. Were these for a special Lindsey who I might know?!?! If so I hope they saved me one!!! YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes they were ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm...these look soooo good.... my little ones would love them. I love how you did the reverse oreos and especially love that these are "home-made" oreos!!!!! They are sooo pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look yummy and much better I would think then then their namestakes.(-:

    ReplyDelete
  5. These were the best cookies! :) Thanks so much! It was such a special gift!

    ReplyDelete

Ask a question or leave a comment! I will get back to you soon!