8.09.2010

Fiesta!

Here is just a quick little post about a little thing I can international deliciousness...and what is that you ask? Mini Mexican chocolate cakes! This past weekend we had a little fiesta and to keep in line with the carnitas tacos we cooked up, I made these yummy cakes for a sweet end to the evening. Funny story about this cake recipe, I actually made it for the first time almost 6 1/2 years ago. Why do I remember this so clearly you may wonder...well that is because I made this cake only a few hours after meeting my wonderful husband. It was that afternoon, I turned in my cynical ways for the belief in love at first sight, and I couldn't be happier I did!
So not only does this cake have a wonderful memory tied into it, but it is also just really good! I got it out of my Gourmet magazine (April 2004) and I love to make it for parties because it is a crowd-pleaser and it is quick and easy and looks like you spent a lot of time on it! What more can a gal want! So here is the recipe...get it while its hot!
Recipe: adapted from Gourmet Magazine-April 2004. Makes 24 cupcakes.
CAKE
  • 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup Dutch-process unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk with 1 T. lemon juice (allow to sit for a couple mins)
  • 3 tablespoons vanilla bean paste
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
FROSTING
  • 2 cups toasted, chopped pecans (71/2 ounces)
  • 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup half-and-half
  • 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
  • 5 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Make cake:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease cupcake tins, you will not need cupcake liners for these.
Melt butter in a saucepan over moderately low heat, then whisk in cocoa. Add water and whisk until smooth, then remove from heat. Whisk in separately sugar, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla.
Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt into a bowl, then sift again into cocoa mixture and whisk until just combined (don't worry if there are lumps).
Pour batter into cupcake tins and bake 16-18 mins.
Allow to cool while making the frosting.
Make frosting:
Melt butter in a 2-quart heavy saucepan over low heat, then stir in half-and-half and confectioners sugar. Add chocolate and cook, stirring, until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in pecans and salt. Cool glaze until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. 
Remove cupcakes from pan and place top down onto serving dish, so that you have a nice flat bottom as your top.
Spoon glaze over top of cake and allow to drip down sides.
These are the best still warm, but if you want to make in advance, just pop them in the microwave for 10 secs, DIVINE!

2 more pics...here are the straws I made for everyone who came so that you could keep track of your cup, I lov'd em'! Happy baking, happier eating!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ask a question or leave a comment! I will get back to you soon!