8.15.2010

The Good Wife...

No not the TV show, but the real thing, me, being a good wife by making my hubs something he can't get enough of...peanut butter & chocolate! Speaking of TV shows, I did get this recipe from one of the wonderful Food Network personalities...the Barefoot Contessa. Yes, I know she has a real name, but I like calling her the Barefoot Contessa much more!
The thing I love about the Contessa is that she has these divine recipes that use all sorts of indulgent ingredients. The thing I dislike about the Contessa is the very thing I love about her: divine recipes with indulgent ingredients that I never seem to have on hand. So that is when true baking comes in to play. I stare into my baking cupboard and decide how I can make BC's divine recipe work with what I've got on hand. Having completed this process, I give you the Flip-flop Contessa's Peanut Butter Brownies adapted from the Barefoot Contessa's Peanut Swirl Brownies.
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter
  • 10 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/3 c. dutch process cocoa *since I rarely keep unsweetened chocolate on hand, I figured cocoa would be the best substitute.
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 T. brewed espresso or coffee *BC likes to use instant coffee, but this is something I never have! So I just brewed a quick espresso and voila, perfecto!
  • 1 T. pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/8 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 T. baking powder
  • 1/2 t. kosher salt
  • 1/2 c. JIF creamy peanut butter *BC does not specify JIF, however my hubs will ONLY eat JIF and for good reason, it's the best! 
Preheat the oven to 350. Grease 9 x 9" pan.
Melt butter, 1 chocolate chips, and cocoa in small saucepan over medium heat. Allow to cool slightly. In a large bowl, stir together the eggs, coffee, vanilla, and sugar. Stir the warm chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and allow to cool to room temperature.
Once cooled, add flour, baking powder, and salt, mix until combined. Pour into the prepared pan. Spoon the peanut butter over the top of the chocolate mixture and using a knife, swirl it through the chocolate mixture.
Bake for 30-35 mins, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not overbake! Allow to cool as long as you can before you dig in!
Don't forget your glass of milk! Happy baking, happier eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ask a question or leave a comment! I will get back to you soon!