So I had a fabulous thought...what about Hershey's milk chocolate filling inside of a buttery chocolate chip cookie! Double YUM! It just so happened that I had recently seen a recipe, again on Callye's site, for chocolate chip roll out cookies. Ok these cookies are great at baseline...but when sandwich'd around my Hershey's filling...UNREAL! So here's what you do...make and bake your cookies, prepare your filling-chill slightly, and then assemble the sandwich cookies.
I made a couple of changes to the cookie recipe which I must say really amped it up a notch.
- I used milk chocolate chips to stay in line with the milk chocolate filling.
- I used one rounded tsp.(instead of 1/2 tsp.) of course salt, THIS IS KEY! When you are eating these delectable treats you will come across a piece of course salt and it gives you an unexplainable flavor burst and takes these cookies from a 10 to a 10+!
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening (come on shortening is not bad for you, just use it!)
- 2-3 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/8 tsp. fine salt
- 1/2 tsp. butter-vanilla emulsion (or just regular vanilla extract works just fine)
- 1 1/2 king size Hershey's bars
Now to assemble, pair off all of your cookies. Spoon, spread or pipe the filling onto the bottom cookie and seal with the top cookie. Refrigerate to set.
Yields about 24 2" sandwich cookies
So I asked my hubby what the first thought that came to mind when he taste-tested the filling and he said...a Hershey's bar. This to me was a slam dunk as he had no idea what I was making or who I was making it for so therefore it was a blinded taste-test, right! And it does taste just like a Hershey's bar. So seriously stop reading this post and get your butt baking, these are worth it!
Happy Baking...Happier Eating!