1.09.2011

{Recipe Share} Vanilla Pizzelle Sandwich Cookies

Hi all! So it is nearing my one year anniversary for this little blog, hard to believe where time goes but it has been one week short of a year. Since I have been posting a lot of sugar cookies as of late, I figure I needed to get back to my blog intentions of recipe sharing & reviewing, it has been a while! So what have I got for you today you say...PIZZELLES! And what good are pizzelles by themselves(they actually are good plain as well)...BUT they are so much better sandwich'd around thick creamy frosting! Deciding what frosting is the best match may just be your biggest challenge with these gems!
I received a pizzelle maker from my mother-in-law and although pizelles were never on my list of things to bake, I always remember thinking how pretty these little cookies were after seeing them in gourmet cookie books. They are very pretty cookies but they also taste quite delightful! My review of the cookie is quite satisfactory: crisp, light (aka guiltless), and just the right amount of sugar to satisfy a sweet tooth. However, because I am the queen of making anything into a sandwich, I had to kick them up a notch. I did two versions: the first with chocolate ganache filling and the second with my toasted pecan & cinnamon buttercream. The winner...I will let you guess!
Recipe Source: adapted from BHG Cookie Recipes-Pizzelles
Recipe Difficulty: easy-peasy
Recipe Satisfaction: Would definitely make again!

Pizzelle Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder  
  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
  • 1 tbsp. vanilla (or flavoring of your choice) 
Directions:
  • In a medium mixing bowl stir together the flour & baking powder; set aside. In a glass bowl whisk the eggs until frothy and well combined. Gradually whisk in the sugar until well combined.
  • Temper the melted butter with the egg mixture, add butter into egg mixture, stir well. Mix in vanilla. 
  • Add flour mixture; mix until combined.
  • Heat electric pizzelle iron according to manufacturer's directions. (Or, heat pizzelle iron on range top over medium heat until a drop of water sizzles on the grid. Reduce heat to medium-low.)
For each pizzelle, place a slightly rounded tablespoon of batter on pizzelle iron, slightly off-center toward back of grid. Close lid. Bake according to manufacturer's directions. (For a nonelectric iron, bake about 2 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.) Turn pizzelles out onto a paper towel to cool. Repeat with remaining batter. Makes 18 pizzelles. 
 
Filling Ingredients:
  • Chocolate Ganache:
                -2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
                -1/2 cup heavy cream
Place the chocolate into a medium bowl. Heat the cream in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Bring just to a boil, watching very carefully. When the cream has come to a boil, pour over the chopped chocolate, and whisk until smooth. Allow to cool until thick, then whip until light and fluffy.
  • Toasted Pecan & Cinnamon Buttercream:
                -1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans
                -1/2 tsp cinnamon
                -1 stick of butter @ room temp
                -1 tsp vanilla
                -2 cups powdered sugar
Cream butter with electric mixer. Add cinnamon and vanilla until combined. Add in powdered sugar until well combines. Lastly add in toasted pecans and mix until well combined.

Assembly:
  • match up pizzelles in pairs of two
  • spread 1-2 tbsp of filling on bottom pizzelle (make sure filling is room temp so that it is easier to spread without breaking the fragile pizzelle)
  • place top cookie on and give a gentle squeeze to seal the two together
  • refrigerate 15 minutes to set
 
 
Enjoy! Let me know what you think, and the answer to my above question...vanilla pizzelle sandwich cookies with toasted pecan & cinnamon buttercream would be otherwise known as my favorite out of the two! Happy baking, happier eating to all!
 width=

5 comments:

  1. I've really been wanting to try these, but I have no pizzelle maker. I've tasted them before, and I really enjoyed this very light and crunchy cookie. The one I tasted had a slight anise flavor to it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather! Yes, traditionally I guess they are anise or spice, however, I am not a fan of anise for the most part :) Yes, I would never have thought to buy a pizzelle maker but it was a great gift! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a great Idea. I never though of using electric pizzelle iron in making cookies. I should really try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! This is truly indulging! I should better make some of this to stop my mouth watering. LOL. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so pretty! I've had a pizelle maker in my Amazon cart ofr over a year now! My SIL loves the little ones from Traders Joe's with caramel in teh center. We made some last year with homemade caramel and store bought cookies. But I am really eager to try to these!
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Ask a question or leave a comment! I will get back to you soon!