3.06.2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter Shortbread

So if you are like me...the title of this post has more than enticed you to read a bit further. Chocolate...Peanut Butter...Shortbread! Yes it is as good as it sounds, maybe even better than it sounds! Because it is the week before a very special day, my hunny's birthday, I figured I would share a recipe that I made for him a couple of months ago.
I have been meaning to share this recipe for weeks and I have no idea why it has taken me so long to get my act together and post about it. Well I sort of know why it has taken me so long, I have NO time! I usually do not make that excuse, it is just one of those statements I have never been too fond of, because in all truth, we all have time. That is one thing that is certain in this life, time will always be there, it will also continue to tick away, so saying you have no time defies logic. But when we are saying that, we simply mean we do not have enough time to do the things we WANT to do because we are too busy using our time up for the things we HAVE to do! So that is my excuse, I have not had enough time to get to all of the things I want to do lately; therefore, something had to give and sadly it is my baking and blogging. But now that I'm here lets chat about this scrumptious treat!First off, let me tell you, this recipe is SUPER easy and it requires just a few simple ingredients, so what's not to love! I originally saw this recipe on Martha's Cookie Of The Day blog and I starred it in my mailbox because I knew it would be a great treat to make for my husband. Since he is my number one taste tester and eats all of my "goofs," I figured this treat was the perfect way to show him my appreciation for working so hard!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Shortbread Squares:
  • Vegetable oil cooking spray
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, melted
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 cup powdered sugar 
Coat a 9x9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. Line with parchment, leaving a 2-inch overhang on 2 sides, and coat parchment with spray.  
Beat butter with a mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Add sugar, and beat until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture, beating until just incorporated. Press dough evenly into pan, prick fork over dough to prevent air bubbles when baking. Cover, and refrigerate until firm, about 20 minutes.
 
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Bake shortbread until golden brown and firm in center, 45 to 50 minutes. Let shortbread cool in pan on a wire rack.
Use parchment to unmold shortbread from pan, and trim edges to create a square. Cream peanut butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Spread peanut butter muxture evenly on shortbread.

Melt chocolate in 30 second intervals until melted, careful not to overheat. Place melted chocolate in piping bag fitted with a circular tip (or just cut off the tip of the bag). Pipe chocolate design over the peanut butter. Allow to set. Cut into squares and enjoy!
Happy Baking, Happier Eating!

3 comments:

  1. CAn this be a cutout cookie? I LOVE it...I am crossing my finger your answer is yes...PS, Love how you decorated it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boyfriend's birthday is this week, too! :) He keeps buying bags of Reeses, maybe I'll make this to save his wallet and let him get his chocolate and peanut butter fix!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love shortbread and I love peanut butter, so I think I found a keeper here:)

    ReplyDelete

Ask a question or leave a comment! I will get back to you soon!