3.13.2011

Happy Birthday Hubby!

Just wondering...does cake and coffee constitute a balanced meal? Hope so because I think I had it for at least two meals today. Don't judge because I know if you were at my house with this cake lying around, you too would convince yourself it is totally a balanced addition to any beverage, wine anyone?
So as I said it was my wonderful Barry's thirty-ish birthday yesterday, so of course I had to make him a wonderful birthday cake with all of his favorite ingredients! I had recently read this amazing gals blog which she said was referred to as being "calorie heavy" (aka my kind of recipes) and I had the idea to use her concept with a bit of a twist. So instead of using chocolate covered cherries as the filling, I used Reese's miniature peanut butter cups, and instead of doing just one layer, I figured why not two? So just in case you are having a hard time picturing, here is what it looked like. Please for the how-to, refer to Amanda's tutorial...she has a great one!
For the cake, I used just a basic butter cake recipe.

For the frosting between the layers I used a peanut butter buttercream:
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1 stick of butter
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
Finally for the frosting covering the cake I used a basic chocolate buttercream:
  • 1 stick of butter
  • 2/3 cup of cocoa
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 3 T. milk
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Let me just tell you, this cake is pretty much DIVINE, however it is REALLY difficult to finish a whole piece, so my advice, set it on your kitchen table with a fork and just take a few bites every time you pass by it, that way you don't overdose! Happy baking, happier eating!

4 comments:

  1. Great job! Love your twist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, this looks like my kind of cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHOA!!! PB Cups are my favorite!! That looks incredible!!! Happy Bday to your hubby...he's a lucky guy! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loren & Sue this cake is pretty much amazing, you simply must make yourself one!

    Thanks for stopping by Amanda, I'm so honored!

    ReplyDelete

Ask a question or leave a comment! I will get back to you soon!